About Me

My photo
Our adventures started in amazing Alaska, but have since taken us to beautiful Spokane Valley, Washington. Our family consists of Nick (Dad), Becki (Mom), and our four boys: Alvin, Alex, Rilie, and Jackson. I enjoy homeschooling our kids and we're excited for what adventures Spokane has for us.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Volunteering at their school

Today was cool enough to wear a sweater! I love fall! We've had a beautiful September. It's been bright and sunny for days now. Which made the cool fog that settled this morning that much more mystical when the kids got up.

Last week, I started volunteering in the boys' classrooms. It was a lot of fun. In Alvin's room, I do the reading tests with the kids. It went really well, and calmed my fears over how behind Alvin is or isn't. He's doing just fine! YEAH! In Paul's room, I did apple prints. They had read, "10 Apples Up on Top", so we stamped 10 apples above one another on a long sheet of paper.

I got to Paul's room a little early and was able to watch their math lesson. It was so much fun. The teacher had a drawing of a kid on the board with two dashed lines. One was above their head and one was around their belly-button. The kids were supposed to draw a picture of something taller than their self (pink sticky note) and something shorter than their self (yellow sticky note). The teacher then stuck each sticky either above the head or around the belly of the drawing. What a great hands on way to teach math concepts.

I LOVE MY KIDS SCHOOL! While I think home school is great and plan to do it when my kids are older... I am so glad I gave our neighborhood school a chance. They amaze me!

No comments:

Post a Comment