About Me

My photo
Our adventures started in amazing Alaska, but have since taken us to beautiful Spokane Valley, Washington. Our family consists of Nick (Dad), Becki (Mom), and our four boys: Alvin, Alex, Rilie, and Jackson. I enjoy homeschooling our kids and we're excited for what adventures Spokane has for us.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Life is good

We are going on week 5 since little Jackson made his debut... and I just have to say that life is good. With our last three kids, I had wicked postpartum depression. (Yes, adoptive moms can have postpartum depression. And yes, dads can get postpartum depression). I was so nervous this time around, because this time I'd have the hormonal factors in the mix. During our pregnancy, Nick reassured me things would be different and we'd get through it together. We talked about the past challenges and what we could do differently.

Here's our list:

1. Admit my concerns.

Whenever it came up, I shared my concerns with family, friends, church leaders, and doctors. If things got as bad as the previous times, I would let my doctor know so we could do something about it (instead of suffering through it). Just by letting people know, I felt like more people checked on me. Most importantly, I had to admit my concerns to myself. I couldn't pretend I would have this baby and life would return to the same pace. It would be slower. I would not be accomplishing "less", I would just have different goals.

2. Different goals.

For the first 2 months - My main objective is to breastfeed Jackson, rest, and snuggle with my children. Everything else is on the back burner or not my responsibility. Whatever schedule changes that were needed, I had to make happen and embrace. I was not running the show.

3. Changed the schedule.

We had no appts scheduled (except post baby appts). My children watched way more television and played way more video games than I will every want to remember. My kids went to bed later, because daddy was home. This made them sleep longer, while I was doing things solo. This allowed me to sleep longer or enjoy some quiet time. We would live in vacation mode, until I was ready to take on my mommy duties, one at a time, as I felt successful with them.

4. Ask for help.

My mom came down for the first two weeks. Nick took off the following week. We had 19 freezer meals ready to use. If someone offers to help, let them! (Still working on that one).

5. Pray like crazy!

I was desperate for comfort before Jackson was born. Rilie was still not sleeping through the night. Nick and I were concerned about two babies needing us through the wee hours. We prayed!! I prayed!! I asked Heavenly Father to either strengthen me or lighten the task. A little of both has happened.

I can't pretend that this list is comprehensive toward another's situation... but I hope you can find some gems to lighten the load.

**Must Add** With this list, Nick and I both agreed I would "get help" via meds or something if said list didn't work. I think knowing I was open to that option really took a load off. Two of my friends shared needing medication for their postpartum depression and shared the night and day difference they felt. This was reassuring for myself. I'm grateful things have gone so well, but I don't want someone reading this thinking they need to just "pray their depression away".

No comments:

Post a Comment